Ontario Building Better, More Modern Facilities at Atikokan
August 2, 2023 –
Province investing over $550,000 for critical care upgrades and repairs connecting Ontarians to care, closer to home.
Atikokan — As part of Your Health: A Plan for Connected and Convenient Care, the Ontario government is improving hospital and community care by investing $551,525 this year to support critical upgrades and repairs at hospitals and community health facilities in Atikokan. This funding is part of the government’s investment of over $208 million provided through the Health Infrastructure Renewal Fund and the Community Infrastructure Renewal Fund to 131 hospitals and 58 community health facilities across the province.
“I am pleased to see the government’s investment in the Atikokan Hospital”, said Kevin Holland, MPP for Thunder Bay –Atikokan. “The hospital will be performing critical upgrades to the aged infrastructure. These upgrades will ensure the safety of both patients and staff and will prolong the useful life of the Hospital. This funding shows our government’s commitment to making sure Ontarians get the Right Care in the Right Place and close to home. ”
• Atikokan General Hospital – $551,525.00 as part of the Health Infrastructure Renewal Fund.
Ontario is providing $200 million to hospitals through the Health Infrastructure Renewal Fund and over $8.4million to community health service providers through the Community Infrastructure Renewal Fund. This funding from the province allows its health care system partners to address urgent infrastructure renewal needs such as upgrades or replacements of roofs, windows, security systems, fire alarms and back-up generators.
“Ensuring Ontario’s hospitals and community health facilities have the infrastructure in place to deliver the high-quality care patients expect and deserve is a priority for our government, ”said Sylvia Jones, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “This year’s increased funding will help these facilities address priority renewal needs while ensuring people can continue to receive the world-class care they need in a safe and comfortable environment.
”With Your Health: A Plan for Connected and Convenient Care, the province is moving quickly to expand and modernize Ontario’s hospitals to ensure patients and their families are able to connect to the quality care they need, when they need it, closer to home.
• This year, Ontario has increased the Health Infrastructure Renewal Fund by over 14 per cent and the Community Infrastructure Renewal Fund by over 10 per cent.
• Community health facilities are publicly funded and provide a range of programs to patients across the province, including primary care, community mental health and addictions services, allied health care such as physical therapy and respiratory therapy, and programs and services delivered by a public health unit.
• Ontario’s investments over the next 10 years will lead to nearly $50 billion in health infrastructure across the province.
• As of the end of 2022, Ontario approved 50 hospital development projects that will build more than 3,000 new hospital beds in communities across the province over the next 10 years.
“We sincerely appreciate the generous funding that will enable us to modernize and renovate our facility. This crucial support ensures that our hospital remains current and operational, benefiting the community of Atikokan and its surrounding areas.” Jennifer Learning, CEO Atikokan General Hospital
• Your Health: A Plan for Connected and Convenient Care
• 2023 Ontario Budget: Building a Strong Ontario
Watch the Announcement Here:
Download News Release